Monday, October 4, 2010

Hello All

So I've decided to start a blog. Some folks have mentioned that I should give it a try. Although I am a sub-par writer and the idea of posting things about myself borders on vain narcissism. I figure I should give it a whirl, I have had a few experiences this year that I have felt necessary to share and feel driven to write certain memories or longings that have hit me and bring me into the past, or with hope, into the future.

This will also act as a journal for my trip across the Himalayas on a bicycle next month. The trip will be very difficult for a number of reasons, altitude of 5000+ meters, higher than any peak in the Rockies and most mountains in the world. Long distances and bitter cold of the Tibetan plateau in winter and the most recent development, a torn hip labral.





Essentially, this torn labral will probably not heal and despite doctor warnings, I have decided to go through with the trip. I will have another, probably harrowing visit to a Korean hospital to get a better idea but with some will and painkillers I'll be able to do this 1000km cross Himalaya Odyssey. Surgery is probably in my future but my hope is that I can tough through the trip, another ski season and a treeplanting season, essential to recovering my shattered finances. Then I will be able to accept my fate of 6 months down time post op and maybe study or teach while I recover.  


So I am going to post up a couple experiences from Korea that I have written, one was definitely life changing, the other an entertaining example of a sick day in Korea. The last is of the best cup of coffee in the world.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment